Sunday, March 20, 2016

Trekking Back to Television

I've been told that a new Star Trek series is in the works and it won't be related to the J.J. Trek films! My reaction? YES! OH YEAH! YEAH BUDDY! WELCOME BACK STAR TREK! WE MISSED YOU!!!! That being said, I am optimistic and look forward to whatever the producers do with this new concept!

Since the cancellation of Star Trek: Enterprise in 2005, it's been over ten years since Trek was on television. Since that time, we've only had two films, fan fiction and a wonderful show called Star Trek Continues, which is a fan-made series based on adventures of the 60s show. With much speculation and finally confirmation, the new series will hit screens on January 2017 in honor of Star Trek's 50th anniversary.


 
Bryan Fuller on the set of Voyager.

The cast is not confirmed as of this stage, however there are a few veterans with previous Trexperience (haha totally made that word up) working behind it. Nicholas Meyer, director of both Star Trek II and VI is on board as writer and well-known producer Bryan Fuller is labeled as the show's creator. Fuller is no stranger to Trek, as he wrote many episodes for Star Trek: Voyager and Deep Space Nine. Ever since 2009, before the rebooted film, he has been a runner up and expressed interest in doing a new series. Taken from an article in Science Fiction World.net Fuller says, "I told my agent and told the people of J.J. Abrams' team I want to create another Star Trek series and have an idea that I'm kicking around. I would love to return to the spirit of the old series with the colors and attitude. I loved Voyager and Deep Space Nine, but they seem to have lost the '60s fun and I would love to take it back to its origin." Roddenberry's son, Eugene Roddenberry will also have a hand as producer for the new series. From what I understand, CBS is going to air the pilot on their station and then release a season on All Access.

I am mostly looking forward to a return to form in Star Trek. Although the J.J. Abrams aka Abramsverse of Trek is highly successful and brought a whole new cult following with fresh energy and storytelling, it lacks the heart of what Star Trek is about. With explosions, fights and battles with little backbone, these movies appeal more to the general audiences, which I totally get. You can't have a theatrical film and target only the fans. You need to open a broader range and I understand that. I just wish there was more Trek in it, because without that, it's what makes it just a simple action movie. I love the movies, but just as action movies. The first movie was great but the second just relied too much on what came before and rehashed it with only too much action.


So, now that you read my thoughts on the new series, what do you think? Are you looking forward to Star Trek's return to television? Has it been too long for anyone to really care about there being a new show? Let me know in the comments below!

Sources:

No comments:

Post a Comment